Moray and Maras Salt Mines Cusco Tour
- Style Trip
- Classic Tour
- Places to Visit
- Tour Length
- Daily Departures
- Group Size
- 6 Persons to more
- Physical Grade
With our tour Maras, Moray and Salineras, visit the three important archeological centers that are not normally included in the classic tours to the Sacred Valley of the Incas.
Start your trip in the city of Cusco (Peru) and visit:
- The experimental Inca agricultural center of Moray. Located 7 km west of the town of Maras and at an altitude of 3500 meters above sea level. This archeological zone stands out for its system of circular platforms that, in the Inca era, served as an agricultural research center for the adaptation of plants to different ecological floors.
- The traditional village of Maras. Located 74 km from the city of Cusco. It’s an old colonial town that stands out for its noble coats of arms, of noble Indians of the colony, that still shine in the lintels of some doors. During the colony, being very close to the Salt Mines of Salineras, it was an important political-administrative enclave.
- The Salt Mines of Salineras. Formed by more than 3000 small wells that are dug in the steep slope of a ravine. In these wells, following ancestral methods, the salt water that emanates from the Qaqawiñay mountain spring is stored and crystallized.
Full Day Tour
We will begin this adventure at 9:00 a.m. as we drive from Cusco to the village of Chinchero, located some 27 km northeast of the city, where we will be able to visit the small local church which the Spanish built over the foundations of Inca walls, as well as the plaza where a traditional market is held on Tuesdays, Thursdays and Sundays. Here, local people exchange their produce and sell their handcrafts. After spending some time enjoying the atmosphere of the village, we will continue to Cheqoq, a series of Inca water channels and granaries which few tourists are given the opportunity to visit. We will then continue to the circular agricultural terraces of Moray, which were once part of an Inca agricultural research station where they developed new crops strains. After enjoying an open air picnic lunch we will continue our trip by visiting the salt mines of Maras, before ending our day by walking to the village of Tarabamba, very close to the river, where our vehicle will be waiting to take us back to Cusco or our hotel in the Sacred Valley of the Incas.
Duration of the trip: approximately 8 hours. This tour is available any day throughout the year.
Located to the west of the Cusco to 3,300 m.a.s.l. from there is appreciated the mountain range of Urubamba and the snow peaks of “La Verónica” (5,682 m.a.s.l.) and the “Chikón” (5,530 m.a.s.l.) Their important occupation began when the noble cusqueños of the Inkario were stripped of their palaces in the Qosqo and had to go out to settle in other small towns like Maras.
It has a church made of adobe, typical of the religious architecture of the village, inside the church are kept canvases of the Cusqueña School.
It is about 7 km southwest of Maras. It is about depressions or gigantic natural holes in the surface of the land that were used to construct in their contours agricultural terraces or platforms with their respective irrigation channels, it is therefore a prototype of greenhouse or experimental biological station enough advanced for its time that helped that the American man of the antiquity inherited to the humanity a 60% of the vegetable products that consumes, that the Andean man consumes a thousand and a half of diverse varieties of potatoes, a hundred and a half of corn, and many other products.
Salt mines: “salt mines”
Located to the northwest of the town of Maras, they are constituted by about 3000 small wells with an average area of about 5 m², during the dry season they are filled or “irrigated” every 10 days with salt water that emanates from a natural spring located in the superior part of the wells so that when the water evaporates, the salt contained in this one solidifies gradually, later the salt is beaten and thus granulated. Finally we will be returning to the city of Cusco at 2:30 p.m. approx.
- Admissions to all the attractions
- Guide service on board and in the attractive
- Lunch in the city of Urubamba.
- Snacks and drinks aboard
- Transfer hotel-bus station-hotel.
- Drinks as Water
- Telephone calls
Recomendations and packaging list
- Wear comfortable slippers, polo shirts, trousers, shorts, poncho (only in the rainy season Nov – Mar)
- Sun hat, sunscreen, bottled water, and personal medications
- Extra money
- Portable chargers and cameras
Price per person: $ .00 USD
Or contact us at